April 2023 Reviews Update - 12/04/2023
Google released the new April 2023 reviews update on the 12th of April 2023. This is an update building on the original 6 product review updates that had been released previously. This will go beyond product reviews and will look to evaluate all types of reviews with topics focusing on areas related to services and businesses, products, destinations, and media (games, movies, tv shows etc.).
This update will impact the following languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Vietnamese, Indonesian, Russian, Dutch, Portuguese and Polish.
Google shared 14 best practices for what it will consider high-quality reviews:
- Evaluate from a user’s perspective.
- Demonstrate that you are an expert or knowledgeable about the review topic.
- Provide images, video, audio, or other material from your personal experience to support your review.
- Share (if available) quantitative measurements when assessing performance.
- Explain how the subject item/topic sets itself apart from its competitors.
- Cover any comparable pieces and go through which might be best in various use cases.
- Thoroughly discuss the pros and cons.
- Describe any changes that have been made since a previous model/iteration and why the user might benefit from the latest model.
- Focus on the most important decision-making factors
- Describe how a product has been designed and the effect this will have for users (beyond what has been stated by the manufacturer).
- Include links to other useful resources to help users make a decision.
- Consider linking to multiple sellers to give users more choices.
- When recommending something as the best choice, use first-hand information as to why you consider this the best.
- Ensure there is enough useful content in your ranked lists for them to stand on their own, even if you choose to write separate in-depth single reviews.